Inspiring and excelling,
Benhall Women’s Institute was formed in October 2009 on the outskirts of Cheltenham Spa in the Cotswolds.
Our Olympic Pennant displays 5 cameos representing local features:
- Pittville Pump Room ~ a Regency Spa building officially opened in 1830
- Cheltenham Gold Cup, which is a prestigious award presented annually at the National Hunt Race meeting at Cheltenham racecourse
- The Devil’s Chimney at Leckhampton ~ a rocky pinnacle which is a prominent local landmark on the Cotswold Way
- The “Doughnut”, an iconic building in Benhall, home of GCHQ ~ the Government Communications Headquarters and part of our WI logo
- The Olympic Torch is at the centre of our pennant. The slim UK 2012 design is very distinctive. It will be coming through Cheltenham on its way from lands End to London on Wednesday 23rd May 2012.
The pennant’s background depicts the honey colour of Cotswold stone and is bound with the Olympic colours of blue, black, red, yellow and green.
On the back of the pennant is this message:~
“The members of Benhall WI would like to congratulate you for participating in the 2012 Olympics. We hope you enjoy your visit to London 2012. We present this pennant as a souvenir”.
The pennant was designed and created by a group of Benhall WI members
Haiku inspired by September Challenge at Haiku Heights.